Saturday, June 21, 2008

Battle for the De La Salle

The De La Salle chess tournament, where an epic battle had taken place for the Champions Trophy which has stood proudly in St. Michael's Institution for the past 2 years.

My team was named SMI A, and was hand-picked from the very best St. Michael's had to offer. The team was:

Board 1: Mark Siew
Board 2: Lau Tuck Khein
Board 3: James w. Foong
Board 4: Tan Kian

Our 1st round was against our long standing rivals, ACS(Anglo-Chinese School). I drew against Lawrence Teoh(from a winning position dammit) whereas my other team mates got a win, a loss and another draw. So the final score was 2-2 which meant that the championship would be decided by the next 4 rounds.

We had the advantage, because even though ACS had Lawrence Teoh, Yew Keng Heng and Issac Teoh...their 2nd Board player was an unknown from MY school, who lost too many of his games (this was a game-point tournament)

Needless to say, both teams wiped out all other opposition. After our first round, we won EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR GAMES. I was so freakin happy.

In the end, I had to playoff with Lawrence for the Best Board trophy and James had to fight Issac. The time control was 5 minutes. Lawrence was seriously winning but lost on time control (I couldn't believe it). James lost to Issac.

So, SMI A took the Champions Trophy with the Best 1st Board and Best 2nd Board titles. ACS took 2nd place with Best 3rd Board and Best 4th Board

Apart from Lawrence, it was a relatively simple tournament for me
-Mark-

1 comment:

Lawrence said...

I have one clock in my school which is like that.. Play halfway, then stopped while the other opponents clock behave normally..

Personally, I think your clock SHOULD have dropped first.. But because of pure luck that your clock is the same as the one in my school, you won on time.. oh well..

Related Posts with Thumbnails